Hebrew Home acquires first residence

October 18, 1914: Hebrew Home opens doors to rowhouse on M Street

On October 18, 1914

Centennial, Chron., First Residence

The first residence of the Hebrew Home for Aged opens at 415 M Street, with housewarming ceremonies, a three-day public inspection period and a fundraising bazaar conducted under the auspices of the Ladies Auxiliary Society.  The Washington Post reported, “The home is the contribution of the whole Hebrew community of Washington to its infirm and indigent old people.”  A synagogue and dining room were on the first floor; residents walked up the stairs to bedrooms on the second and third floors. Bernard Danzansky was president of the organization.

 

 

All active news articles